Smiley Piercing Aftercare
Smiley piercings usually take between 10-14 days to heal, it is almost impossible to develop an infection because the mouth contains an enzyme "Ptyalin" and Lingual antimicrobial Peptide (LAP) which kills bacteria.
Overuse of mouthwash destroys these, which can cause the tongue to go green or brown; if this happens reduce the amount of mouthwash you use.
Some swelling is normal but this usually goes by the 4th day.
DO'S & DON'TS TO CARE FOR YOU SMILEY PIERCING
THE NUMBER ONE REASON FOR INFECTION IS TOUCHING AND PLAYING WITH THE PIERCING, ONLY TOUCH THE PIERCING WHEN YOU ARE CLEANING IT!
Wash your hands before you touch your piercing.
*DO use B-vitamins with a Zinc supplement as these promote healing. Piercings tend to reflect your general health if you are tired and run down healing is a lot slower
*DO eat lots of cold foods i.e. ice cream, frozen yogurt, suck on chipped or crushed ice, or very small ice blocks and drink lots of ice water this will alleviate pain and reduce swelling. Make sure you do this for at least the first 3 to 4 days
- The swelling will be worse than usual because when you lie down more blood goes to your head; sip the iced water very slowly, this will help alleviate the swelling.
- DO buy a new toothbrush because your old one will be filled with bacteria.
Three times a day dissolve a 1/4 of teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm boiled water and use this as a mouth rinse.
Best time to do this is after you eat. If you smoke, use a salt mouth wash after each smoke.
- Morning and night use a non-alcoholic antibacterial mouthwash to control the bacteria growth. Don’t use it any more frequently than this, as your tongue can turn green with the mouthwash over use.
- DON'T use undiluted mouthwash as this destroys the mouths natural enzymes, which promote healing, and it can cause ulceration.
- Clean around the piercing with a cotton bud once a day; as there can be some stringy mucous there, which is quite normal.
- DO wait a minimum of 14 days before attempting to change over to the shorter ring
- DO remove plaque, which can form on the jewellery; remove this very gently with a soft toothbrush during the healing period.
- After the piercing is healed use an antiplaque mouthwash a couple of times a month, and remove the jewellery to clean it once a month; soaking it in denture cleaner will remove the plaque.
DO check that the jewellery is screwed on tight once a day, clean hands with a germicidal soap before handling.
- DO be careful when you first start eating solid food; take very small bites and be careful when you chew to keep your tongue level in your mouth while eating, so the ring is less knocked.
- DON'T eat food that's hot in temperature i.e. Coffee, tea, soup, as this can be painful during the healing phase, so let them cool a little before you drink them
- Don't eat spicy hot food i.e. Chilli, curry because this can increase the swelling during healing.
- DON'T put anything dirty in your mouth such as fingernails, pens, etc.
- You must refrain from oral sex for the first 10-14 days; this includes kissing, even if you are in a monogamous relationship, as other peoples body fluids carry bacteria.
- No putting your head under in a bath or public swimming pool
- DON'T play with the piercing or chew on it during the healing period as this can lead to excess scar tissue formation and delayed healing.
- DON'T remove or replace the jewellery during the healing period, as the hole closes up very quickly (10minutes and the piercing can close) and it's painful to reinsert the jewellery once this happens.
- Even after the piercing is healed it will close up within a day if you remove the jewellery. Often it only takes 10 minutes and you cant get your jewellery back in.
- Avoid alcohol for at least the first 48 hours, as it will sting the piercing.
- Short rings and plastic balls reduce the risk of damaging teeth.
- Bioflex plastic barbells are ready available and a very good option for your mouth and teeth
Contact us with any problems 07 8683070 www.thecrystalball.co.nz